Thursday, September 6, 2012

Flying High

My awesome compression socks that I wore in preparation of my race Sunday on the airplane.  

Had a layover in Seattle before flying to O'hare, Chicago.  Mount Rainier was beautiful!  

It's funny how so many things that are otherwise socially unacceptable suddenly become the norm in an airport. Yesterday I flew out to Chicago with a layover in Seattle and took note of some of the things I never see, except when traveling by air. Here are some of the things I observed:

1.  It is ok to ask a stranger to watch your purse while you go to the restroom.
2.  If you fly out before 9am or after 5pm, you can wear your pajamas... Or actually any time of the        day.
3.  You can sit or lay down in the middle of the walkway.
4.  You can have your pillow with you and use it anytime anywhere. (see 3 above)
5.  You will take your shoes and belt off without question when asked.
6.  Personal space means nothing.
7.  You can lay your head on a complete stranger and even drool on them without them saying anything.
8.  You can tell your life story and history to a creepy looking guy without worrying that they are taking note and could later possibly come after you, because they can afford a plane ticket and would never do that... (but really girlfriend be careful, you had me worried)
9.  You can park in the middle of the street if you're anywhere close to the airport.
10.  Shoes are optional, apparently even in bathrooms..

Do you have any interesting airport stories?

Where did you fly to last time you were on an airplane?

Are you ready to watch me race Sunday in the Madison, Wisconsin Ironman?!  If so, follow me here: www.ironman.com or www.ironmanwisconsin.com remember to go to the results section and search for Sarah Shadle.

1 comment:

  1. I was flying out of O'Hare on a business trip and being the paranoid type with a United Red Carpet Club membership got there about 90 minutes early. Just after checking in to the United terminal but before heading down the tunnel to the C concourse I heard the PA announcement "Dale Nelson, please report to gate B27" (one of the commuter jet gates).
    .
    That was the name of my maternal grandfather, an Alzheimer's sufferer. On the off chance he and his wife were flying through O'Hare from California to their old home in South Bend Indiana I wandered over to the high numbered B gates. Then I saw his wife Helen looking distraught. She quickly told me that he had gone to the restroom but had not returned.
    .
    Being male it was easy for me to walk in to the nearest men's room. Sure enough he was standing there looking mildly confused. So I said his name to get his attention and led him back to his wife.
    .
    For the rest of her life Helen swore up and down that I was an angel who rescued my grandfather and brought him back to her. All I know is that I was in the right place at the right time, and having flown nearly 300,000 miles out of O'Hare on business over 13 years this was one of only two times I unexpectedly ran into someone at I knew at O'Hare.

    ReplyDelete