Thursday, August 16, 2012

Childhood Scars

First day of school, I must have been in 3rd or 4th grade.  

Yes, this is me.  I kind of look like a guy.. Ugh.. 
One of my terrible hair cuts.  Yes, I really posted this..  

Growing up I received two really bad haircuts that left me looking like a boy. Seriously. I was asked to use the boys bathroom twice in one week! How depressing is that? I was in elementary and then middle school when I had these terrible hair cuts.  (see above photo's)  In fact, half way through my 7th grade year I transferred to a new school and was the new "cute boy" until all the girls found out I was in fact a girl.

Do you see how bad my hair must have been? I'm sure it didn't help that I was very active growing up and refused to wear dresses, but that's not the point. I was a girl and did not like being told to use the boys bathroom or being thought of as the cute guy.

Three weeks ago at about 7:30am I set out to begin my long Sunday bike ride. There are very few cars on the roads that early in the day which makes it a great time to ride. This Sunday I was in for a surprise. As I was riding on a neighborhood road, I heard a car horn behind me. I looked and saw that there was plenty of room between him and me, so I stood my ground and didn't move over. I should tell you, this road has huge shoulders, so there was plenty of room. The car went past me with no problem, although closer to me then it needed to be. No biggie, cars don't like bikes and I understand that. As luck would have it, the car and I were both stopped at the stop light. (Seriously, there are no cars! How is the light red?) The driver was pretty heated, so he rolled down his window and let me have it-

Cadillac driver: what are trying to do, get yourself killed?!

Me: there's lots of room for you to go around.

Driver: you stupid son of a bitch!!!

Me: enjoy church!!

The driver was 70+ years old, dressed nicely and had his well dressed wife in the car with him. He was totally going to church! Zing! I remained calm throughout the entire reaction and wonder what he thought as he drove off. I like to think he regrets what he said to me after I called him out on going to church wondering if he maybe missed a chance to witness to me. I felt sad for him and his wife as they drove off because the driver was so full of anger. I mean, who yells at a biker early Sunday morning on a neighborhood street?

My point of this story? He called me a son of a bitch! I've worked so hard to remove myself from my younger years by growing my hair out long and being more feminine, (besides from burping, I totally burp like a guy) and he called me a son! I had my hair down my back while I was riding, so I know the driver saw it. How could he have mistaken me?

Making fun of people can be so harmful. I would like to challenge each of you to not hurt people with your words and to think before you speak asking yourself what the other person will hear.

Where you ever made fun of growing up?

Have you missed a witnessing opportunity recently?

Do cars bully you when you ride?
Do I honestly look like a "son of a bitch"?  I didn't think so.  

4 comments:

  1. It is especially overwhelming, at any rate research the tips during this singular home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is truly astounding, over the long haul take a gander at the data with this handle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is truly acclaimed, offering little appreciation to take a gander at the heading at this treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is truly amazing, paying unnecessary scrambling toward take a gander at the data with this handle. websitekan

    ReplyDelete